Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Award Title rational


I have decided that I would like my award title to be:

BA (hons) Professional Practice in Dance Performance and Choreography

I feel that this adequately explains all I want to gain from my career, reflecting my knowledge and expertise. This title will support me through both aspects; Dance performance is particularly relevant to what I am doing at the moment and in the immediate future; Dance choreography is what I am striving for further down the line. Choreography is the topic of my Inquiry so I felt that this needed to be included in my award title. I am looking in to how choreographers made the transition from performer to choreographer which is what I really want to do. During my training at The Hammond we had many choreography assessment, my final one gaining me an extremely high mark. I was also specifically picked out of my year group to choreograph a piece for our end of year show, this received a very good review. My final project, Independent Research Project, for my Diploma was also based on choreography. I looked at a number of choreographers, their background, their works and their styles. From this I choreographed a few short sequences and a full-length piece taking inspiration from each of the choreographers. Therefore I think it is relevant to have choreography in my award title.

Further more, this course only makes up the final third of the degree, there fore it is appropriate to have an award title relevant to your previous training, which I feel this does due to my extensive performance and choreography experience at The Hammond School. I was contemplating including Technique in to the title however I feel that it is not necessary. In the dance industry, with the training I have received, it would be expected that I have good technique. I feel that I would not benefit greatly in adding it to my award title, it would just make it unnecessarily long.

No comments:

Post a Comment