Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Literature Review


Dance Ground (2012) The Launch of the Female Choreographers Collective. Retrieved 13th March 2013. From http://www.dance-ground.com/2012/09/the-launch-of-female-choreographers.html

When I was trying to think of a high profile female British choreographers to research for my inquiry I was stumped. I could reel off so many male choreographers but when I was trying to think of female choreographers I could name a few European and American choreographers but only 1 or 2 British ones. This is when I came across The Female Choreographers Collective who are looking in to why there are so few high profile female choreographers. Although this isn’t directly liked to my inquiry I thought it was a good point to bring up and feel I could include the Female Choreographers Collective in my artefact as somewhere for choreographers to show their work. This would also give male choreographers an opportunity to show their work as FCC hold events and platforms such as ‘The Experiment’ where both male and female choreographers are involved.

The article: Dance Ground (2012) The Launch of the Female Choreographers Collective. Retrieved 13th March 2013. From http://www.dance-ground.com/2012/09/the-launch-of-female-choreographers.html brought up some interesting questions for me. It raised the topic that I had already been querying ‘In an industry that is predominately female and in an art form pioneered by women ...Where are all the female choreographers?’ This led me to ask why? Although the article doesn’t answer the question it does open up the opportunity for female choreographers to come together at a platform where the founders, H.Noble and J.Coulston, are trying to find the answer to this question whilst giving female choreographers to network and present their works. I have looked further in to this and have not found any data following up on this.

This article was written before the platform event by the founders of FCC. Here we get an insight in to the thought process behind the set up of the company as well as their mission statement and which direction they want the company to head. The article is very clear, however, I am not sure how well it has been circulated and how many female choreographers have seen this so as to be able to utilise their services. Contact details have been included in the article so I have emailed them and asking about the outcome of the platform as well as asking their current theories on why there are not so many high profile female choreographers. I have not yet had a reply. 

No comments:

Post a Comment