Thursday, March 1, 2012

Task 4A Development

After thinking about the line of inquiry I posted earlier I realized that it was very vast and there were many lines i could look down. If I tried to tackle this how it is I feel that my inquiry would be very vague and i would not really find out anything. To narrow it down i just sat and thought about what is really my passion and how i can develop this in to a line of inquiry: Choreography.

I had originally thought about this but found that i could not come up with any question but mixing it with my ideas about creating my own company i can think of the half way step between performing and running my own company which would be choreographing.


Question about the transition between performer and choreographer:

How easy is to make the transition between performing and choreographing?


Are there any professionals that have already made this step?


How did they go about it?


What skills and experience do I need to gain to become and established choreographer?


How can I go about gaining experience as a choreographer?


What do professional performers think of choreographing, do they like the creativity or do they just think of it as a bunch of steps put together?


Is choreographing a natural step dancer think of after performing? What other professions do performer think of going in to?


Will I have to start by choreographing in the style of some one else to establish my self before being able to put in my own creativity?


Would I have to work as a freelance choreographer? What are the advantages/disadvantages of this?

Questions about choreographing itself:


What skills/techniques are there to help cart the choreographing process?


What styles of dance are easier to choreograph?


Which styles take the most creative input?


How can emotion, themes and ideas be effectively communicated to an audience?


What do audiences think of choreography? do they just see the art of the final piece for do they appreciate the work put in to creating movement?


How can I use aspects of established choreographers works to enhance my own and create my own style?




I would greatly appreciate any feed back on this development. Is this line of inquiry clearer or have a just limited myself again?

Emily

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily

    Choreography is a fantastic subject but very broad.. You have many good questions and I think each one of your questions can become an individual inquiry in it's own right..
    The first thing I think about is that I need to teach this choreography to people.. Will I be patient with my dancers? Will I be able to convey my ideas to them?
    Will you be working with other professional choreographers if you set up a company? Will you employ other choreographers?
    Think about which dance style are you most comfortable with firstly.
    Think about who else you will be associating or working in collaboration with. They may be live musicians or actors.

    There are various types of notation; Laban and Benesh are two that come to mind. Notation is ideal for a full ballet performance and also securing intellectual property. Your inquiry could be about the variety of notations and which ones work for you as you unpick and compare them.

    The emotions, themes and ideas will start from the moment you are give the commission/project or it may be your own ideas that may develop from the lyrics of a song, poem, sounds, or even the mood you amy be in that day.
    Emotions need to be relevant to the level of development of the dancers that you will be working with.

    There is general researching of music, themes, colours, lyrics or story you wish to convey.

    You could compare choreographers styles that interest you..
    It's a great subject, hope I haven't confused you too much.

    Best Wishes
    Corinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Corinda, you have brought up some really good questions. I am definitely looking more towards choreographing in the contemporary style, I love creating my own movement, coming up with unique shapes and just exploring what the body can do and what is esthetically pleasing to an audience.

    ReplyDelete