Friday, March 9, 2012

Task 4D - Award Title and Rationale


After having a really good conversation with Alan yesterday I have really fine-tuned what I want to get out of my inquiry. We discussed looking at how one would make the transition from performer to choreographer. I plan to talk to established choreographers and find how they went through the process.

I have been thinking about my award title for some time now and looking at what other people have decided on for some inspiration. I know that this course only makes up one third of the degree as our previous training/education counts for a lot so I wanted to make sure I included that in the title too. I was thinking about my award title being:

BA (hons) Professional Practice in Dance Performance and Choreography


I feel that this incorporates what I am doing now as well as what I want to do in the future.

What do you think? Is this too broad?

Feed back would be appreciated :) 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Emily :)
    I like the title and think that choreography is a very good subject to research into. The one thing I have learnt about the dance world is it never happens how you expect it to, but finding out other peoples stories will be a good insight into how you can do it yourself. I think it was a very good idea to keep the dance performance aspect in the title as like you said your training does count for a lot but you also want the title to to be relevant in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Elouise! I am really looking forward to finding out about the choreographers that did start out as performers and trying to get in contact with them. I think it will be a challenge but very rewarding plus I am networking at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily
    Choreography would be an amazing subject to research. Would you be researching the process of choreography taking into account if it's a commissioned piece of work you are asked to do or your own work you wish to convey? Would you choreography for children ?
    How would you feel about choreographing for a fashion show with models or would you just work with dance performers?
    Any particular dance style?
    Best wishes
    Corinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Corinda
      For my inquiry I would be researching how already established choreographers made the cross over from being a performer to becoming a choreographer. My aim is to get in to contact with some well known choreographers such as people like Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker and try and get an autobiographical account of what they did and how they felt about the change. Alan suggested I should write a journalistic article with my findings as see if i can get it published in one of the many dance magazines, so i am going to look further into this as well.
      I am mainly interested in choreographing contemporary but when first starting out i would not eliminate the option to do other choreography for, as you say, fashion shows or children, as i feel that this will add to my experience.
      What do you think of this idea?
      Emily

      Delete