Monday, March 4, 2013

Writers Block


I am currently experiencing writers block …

I think I am trying to tackle too many things at once, which isn’t helping. I really need to think about the order in which I need to complete tasks (set by myself). I also realised that I haven’t been planning any of my written work I have just sat down and started writing with no real idea of where my writing is going. I used to love planning and creating spider diagrams of all the things I wanted to include then figure out a logical order to put them in, it really helped to structure my work. So I have answered my own problem:

1)    Write out an order of the tasks I need to tackle
2)    Plan the piece or writing
3)    Write out the piece

Jacob posted about the plans to incorporate skype in to the campus sessions in his post entitled "Link Tank". I am very excited to try this for the next campus session on the 13th March as I feel I have missed out on a lot by not being able to attend. I hope there will be some discussion on ethics and literature reviews as those are the two areas I am having trouble with.

What do you think about the use of skype in the campus sessions? It would be nice to hear some of your thoughts.

Em 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Em,

    I can totally relate to this! I often find myself in the "freeze" aspect of fight, flight or freeze, particularly when I have to complete a writing task for this course!

    Last week I felt unwell and I could not focus properly on anything. This caused me to feel overwhelmed and that I was falling behind with everything which made me feel even worse. What did help was an article I found (see my blog: http://jo-clarke.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/helpful-hints-when-feeling-overwhelmed.html) and also talking to Paula, my Tutor to check in with her last Friday.

    I found myself writing a "to do" list the other day and found it really useful to see myself ticking off each task when completed. Very satisfying! It is excellent to hear that you have self-managed your writer's block by recalling the use of spider diagrams and how useful they were to organise your writing plans.

    I have also found that drawing diagrams has helped me and has made me realise that perhaps I am more of a visual learner than I had once thought!

    Re. the skype option for campus sessions. I have found the campus sessions invaluable and I have often wondered how those of you who are working abroad are coping with the pressure of study, perhaps surrounded by people who don;t really understand the course or what you (we) are talking about!? Have you found that? There are only a few people in my life that can relate to what I am talking about in relation to the course. Skype would be a good way to experience a campus session and potential to "meet" fellow BAPPers with whom you may have a connection or common interest with.

    Well done for completing your interviews etc. It sounds as though you are progressing well, even if you do feel that certain aspects are causing you problems. I think we have to also pat ourselves and each other on the back for achieving what we have done so far. This is by far an easy course!

    Let us know what you decide to do about the skype session - and if you attend, how was the experience?

    Best Wishes,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made myself a timeline of order of events with a time scale as well. It is helping me progress and see my progress on paper rather than freaking out. It must be even harder when you are on a ship! Your doing a great job (-; Keep going xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily,

    This module I keep giving myself little breaks. It's hard to factor this in when you are so busy and have so much to get on with. But I honestly think in that frame of mind the quality of what you write may suffer. Maybe try recording your voice instead. This might remove the 'writing' elemnt away from what you are trying to say?

    Ahmet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily,

    It is easy to either side track or throw the kitchen sink in the inquiry but, what I tried to do is always have my inquiry title in the back and front of my mind to help me stay on track with what is important and really needed.

    I hope it is all going well and try to relax. Sometimes stress courses writer's block.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry Emily- can we try again in April for campus session - Jacob and I are just trying to hook up whenever possible - so call me or join in Adesola's scheduled drop-ins - maybe next week - will go and see if you are on skype now... no luck but will try again.

    ReplyDelete